FACTS ABOUT JUDY, THE ARTIST
1. I was born in Los Angeles in 1959. I’ve loved art all my life. I graduated from California State University, Northridge in 1981. I began my art career immediately after, and have been illustrating ever since. I began to blog in 2010 and love sharing what I’ve learned in art (Illustrating my Life Portfolio Post) and life (myjourneysinsight).
2. I was always artistic since preschool when a teacher told my mother I had talent. When I was 14 years old, I drew mazes when I was bored. Because of one of my teacher’s encouragement, I published a book of mazes. It was not a best seller. Instead it was an educational book because I explained how to draw mazes.
3. I worked as a part-time college art teacher for a few years before my children took up my time and energy. Being a freelance illustrator worked very well when my children were younger because I worked at home.
4. My work is photorealistic, but I like to call it “idealistic.” I enjoy painting food and floral imagery because reference is easily available.
5. I’ve been illustrating since 1981, and I’ve worked for virtually every major food company. My food illustrations are often used on packaging labels in the supermarket. I can go shopping and see my work on many food packages. Some examples are: Del Monte Pickle products, Beechnut baby-food, Kirkland (Costco brand) Vitamin labels, and Meow Mix cat-food.
6. My technique is my own. For twenty-five years, I worked with a combination of watercolor/dyes, colored pencil and occasionally small amounts of “airbrush acrylic” paints. I also worked with several kinds of markers in combinations with colored pencils and acrylic. Most of my current work is done primarily on the computer.
7. It was not easy for me to re-invent my technique to work digitally. But I am proud that I did. While learning how to work on a computer, I created a large “library of images.” I have over 500 images that are availabe for sale through several illustration stock agencies.
8. In 1992, I won the “Gold Medal Award” in the non-published category for my Snicker’s Bar Illustration at the annual Society of Illustrators, Los Angeles Show.
9. I plan to continuing updating this illustration blog since my career has been on an upswing for the last 3 years. I am blessed!
10. I thoroughly enjoy my life now because in addition to being an artist, I also spend my time writing, creating music and sharing what I’ve learned. Here is a link to more about my story: Judy Unger – My Journey of Insight
© Judy Unger and http://firstname.lastname@example.org 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Judy Unger with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.